It can be costly for families in Texas to power and cool their homes. Since the Texas electricity market is deregulated, Texans have the flexibility to shop around to try to get the best deal on electricity rates so they don’t have to break the bank to try to keep the lights on.
Still, for some families it can be a struggle just to make ends meet so here are a few ways to start saving on Texas energy right now.
Did you know there are places in the United States that don’t have a choice of where they buy their electricity? It’s true. Thankfully, in Texas there are options and people do have options. This can make electricity more much affordable for lower and middle-income families.
Compare Texas Electricity Providers
Before deciding on an electricity provider, check out sites online that rate electricity companies and provide reviews from existing and past customers.
One such site is TexasElectricityRatings.com. This site features all of the companies that provide electricity in Texas, the different plans they offer, their electricity rates, and reviews from customers. Pretty much a one-stop shop for anyone to research and purchase their electricity.
Below are just a few of the plan types offered by the different electricity providers:
No Deposit plans
No Credit Check plans
Green Energy plans
The Public Utility of Texas (PUCT) is also a great place to get answers to any utility-related questions you might have.
Do a little research and you can be sure to get the best electricity plan and rates for you and your family.
Consider How You Use Your Electricity
Another important consideration is “How” you use electricity. With a little effort it is possible to save a substantial amount of electricity just by using it wisely.
If you spend most of your day at home, you may find that you can reduce your electricity consumption by ensuring lights are turned off, unnecessary appliances are unplugged, and your heating and cooling is set to sensible levels – especially when you know you will be leaving the house.
Equipment that isn’t being used but is plugged in still draws electricity. Unplugging the coffee maker and toaster and other counter-top appliances are great ways to reduce your electricity bill. They don’t use a lot of electricity but every little bit helps when you are trying to save on consumption and cost.
Remember to turn off lights when you leave a room. Also, turn off the heating or cooling if you will not be using a particular room or adjust the vents in those rooms accordingly.
Use Alternative Sources of Electricity
If you typically spend time using an oven to cook your meals, try barbecuing foods more often or using a slow cooker, which burn much less electricity than a conventional oven.
In addition, wait until you have full loads before using your washing machine or dryer instead of doing multiple smaller loads. Hang your clothes on the clothesline or drying line in the backyard or basement if it makes sense to do so. Allowing your clothes to dry naturally keeps them smelling fresh.
The same goes for your dishwasher. Wait until you have a full load or do your dishes by hand to help save electricity.
All major appliances use a great deal of electricity so if you are willing to do a little work yourself, you can save yourself some real dollars.
All over the world, energy use and the cost of that energy is on the rise. Electricity rates in Texas are no different.
By shopping around for the best electricity plans and rates, turning out lights when not In use, cooking out on the grill every so often, and washing small loads of dishes by hand, you are sure to see savings on your next Texas electricity rates bill.
Below is a recent news article detailing how electricity might be getting cheaper for Texas homeowners and businesses due to the varied sources of electrical power available in Texas.
Report: Shopping for electricity is getting cheaper in Texas
Shopping for electricity is becoming cheaper for most Texans, according to a new study from the Texas Coalition for Affordable Power. But for those who live in an area with only one electricity provider, prices have increased in a recent 10-year period, the study says.
About 85 percent of Texans can purchase electricity from a number of providers in a deregulated marketplace, while the remaining 15 percent must buy power from a single provider in their area… Read more
Map of Texas